Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 6 Update


Consistency...that is the key to success. Making things habitual, or should I say, making good things habitual. Even when I have nothing left to give, I have managed to eek out a little more time to try the new recipe and to create a little something. Cooking and creating are two things that bring me such joy and help me to feel like I am doing something just for me. I even took a wonderful bubble bath tonight and oh, did that do wonders for my aching bum and back. Sitting in a chair in front of a computer all day is not my cup of tea!
At any rate, here is my haiku chronicle for week 6.

Haiku #36
Superbowl Sunday
Patriots versus Giants
I don't care who wins


#37
Stretched out on the couch
With a cat lying on me
I've no choice but sleep

#38
Target shopping trip
Spaghetti dinner with wine
Good movie, good night


#39
Waiting patiently
For the snow that just won't fall
I NEED a snow day


#40
Oh, I love Thursday
I'm almost to free day
My get to play day

#41
I am up too late
Thanks to friends who wouldn't go
Such a fun problem

#42
The wind huffed and puffed
The snowflakes flew round about
With no place to go


Recipe of the week was a bit of a hodge-podge method of making Chicken and Pastry, the ultimate in comfort food for a blustery Saturday.

I browned 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs in a bit of olive oil and then removed to a plate.
Next, I sauteed about a cup each of diced yellow onion, celery, and carrots and a clove or so of garlic in the juices of the chicken and oil. I also added a sprinkling of thyme and turmeric. When the veggies had softened, I added 6 cups of low-sodium, fat free chicken broth and put the chicken back in the pot to boil for about 20 minutes. After that had cooked, I whisked in Wondra flour to thicken the broth up a bit. I rolled flat and then sliced refrigerator biscuit dough into strips and then placed the strips on top of the broth. Last, I covered the stew and cooked it for an additional 15 minutes. Final step was to let it sit covered for about 10 more minutes. I am not sure my family loved it as much as I did, but I thought it was divine. Next time I plan to make my own pastry with whole wheat dough.



and finally, my little Valentine themed bird art


No comments:

Post a Comment